Marks, Thomas Architects is an Architecture, Interior Design and Planning firm specializing in the housing market including Multi-Family, Senior Living, and Adaptive Use. Other market sectors include Education, Recreation and Workplace design. Our work reflects our commitment to shaping and building communities with a focus on sustainable design. We are passionate about design and have a dynamic culture with perks including, Friday yoga, Wednesday breakfast and annual events like chili cook-offs and Orioles’ games.
We are always seeking talented professionals for architecture jobs in the Baltimore, MD area.
Please feel free to submit your resumé and portfolio and we will keep it on file.
We are currently seeking…
Our ideal candidate will have 2-5 years of full time work experience with an architectural firm and have a degree in architecture as well as initial registration with IDP. You should have a portfolio of successful designs from school and applicable work and have a strong interest in design, sustainability and socially conscious environments. Equally important to these skills and prior experiences is this key attribute — you should have an innate ability to collaborate and an extraordinary level of personal initiative.
Senior Living Architect
Established, award-winning, mid-size architectural and interior design firm seeks a leader to manage and grow our senior living portfolio. We are a Baltimore firm located on the Inner Harbor; our studio is growing in services and expertise in a relaxed but rigorous culture and we are committed to the growth of our nationally recognized senior community work.
Role and Responsibilities include:
- Work with Principals to develop and define the strategic growth for our firm’s senior living portfolio.
- Research and develop current practices, trends and future directions for senior living facilities and care, including independent living, assisted living, memory care and extended care.
- Research and build relationships with our current senior living clients.
- Write, speak and communicate research findings and analysis regarding senior living, both in and out of the office.
- Promote the firm’s expertise in senior living facilities and related design services.
- Manage the quality control of the firm’s senior living work.
- Manage specific senior living architectural projects.
- Identify opportunities for new services and clients in the industry related to senior living.
- Maintain and encourage staff to continue their education in relevant aspects of senior living facilities.
Our ideal candidate will have worked with senior living projects in an architectural firm in a project management capacity for 5-15 years and have a degree in architecture. Communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as self-motivation, enthusiasm and a positive outlook are needed for this position. Equally important than any of those skills and prior experiences is the attribute that you have a deep and sincere interest in senior living issues, an innate ability to collaborate and an extraordinary level of personal initiative.
We’re looking for a talented, creative designer to bring expertise, passion, and enthusiasm to every project. As an Interior Designer at Marks, Thomas Architects you would assist in future growth of the department and staff, as well as participate in the design, production, documentation, and implementation of current and future projects.
Role and Responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with the design team on commercial projects including programming, conceptual design, design development and construction contract documents.
- Collaborate and coordinate with architectural project managers and teams within the office to produce coordinated projects on schedule and within budget.
- Create graphic presentations through a variety of media that convey project design intent.
- Demonstrate abilities in persuasive presentation skills, rendering skills, and technical proficiency.
- Finish + material research, selection and specifications.
- Work with consultants, furniture dealers, and product reps to meet overall project objectives.
- Select furniture, art and window treatments and specifications.
- Assist in reviewing documentation for interior projects to ensure quality control.
- Maintain an appropriate billable and non-billable percentage of departmental time.
- Participate in networking & marketing events within the design community while actively seeking new contacts and project opportunities.
- Work hard, play hard, and learn a lot along the way!
- A professional degree in Interior Design or Interior Architecture from a CIDA accredited school, or a professional degree in Architecture from a NAAB accredited school.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Suite (Photoshop, InDesign)
- Experience with Revit and SketchUp.
- Outstanding graphic and verbal presentation skills.
- Knowledge of the design process, including FF&E, specifications, general code compliance, color and materials.
- Flexibility to focus on a variety of project types and multiple, concurrent projects in various stages of development.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Problem solving skills, attention to detail and motivation to learn and take initiative.
- Completed or interested in completing NCIDQ or LEED exams.